[IPP] IPP FaxOut and "resource constrained MFDs"?

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless Architect) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Wed Oct 31 20:03:01 UTC 2012

Greetings,

In reading the IPP FaxOut specification, it seems that there is an assumption that the MFD must cache the entire fax job locally to handle retransmissions and to also support multiple destinations.  Obviously for those MFDs that have enough RAM or secondary storage, this is not a problem.  But what of those MFD type devices that may not have such resources?  It seems pretty clear to me that resource-constrained MFDs were not considered in the IPP FaxOut specification.  It seems clear to me that additional attributes and use discussion will be needed to the IPP FaxOut specification if this class of devices is to be supported.

Will the semantic model upon which IPP FaxOut is based allow for such extensions?  I will begin reading 5108.5 and 5108.1 more closely, but if those that were authors of those specifications or the draft of IPP FaxOut could comment on this, it would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Smith

/**
    Smith Kennedy