[IPP] Fwd: Errata for RFC 4122 (UUID-based URN)

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 16:22:57 UTC 2013

Hi,

It turns out that RFC 4122 has some serious problems of
inconsistent numbering of bits and bytes in the UUID.

Please read carefully - implementors beware, if you are
trying to *construct* a UUID by this spec, you may have
implementation bugs - if you are only taking OS-generated
UUID values and wrapping them in the URN syntax, then
you will not have problems.

Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com