[IPP] Fuji Xerox has reviewed the IPP FaxOut specification and has comments

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Jul 9 20:54:23 UTC 2013

Daniel,

On Jul 9, 2013, at 2:56 PM, Manchala, Daniel <Daniel.Manchala at xerox.com> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> I think what Shin is trying to say is that there is an impossibility of a FaxOut Device to detect such things as training failure or lost carrier.

I would be incredibly surprised since the standards (and anyone that has used a modem with its speaker turned on) clearly identify ways for both the sender and receiver to detect carrier tones, loss of signal, and so forth.

The actual detection mechanism involved on each end naturally varies, as does the reporting capabilities of the hardware, but we should be focused on identifying the events or states and not necessarily the low-level details - for example a "lost carrier" state can be caused by a variety of conditions, but all we care about is that we lost the carrier tone.

believed to be clean.