[IPP] Question concerning what the "IPP/2.0 Implementer's Guide" should recommend for multiple-document-handling vs. job-collate

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless Architect) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Fri Jul 19 21:28:24 UTC 2013

Greetings,

I'm having trouble productively acting on the minutes from the May 2013 Face-to-Face that recommend adding a section discussing multiple-document-handling and job-collate to section 5:

> • Section 5.x: Add multiple-document-handling and job-collate
>   ⁃ Discuss use of multiple-document-handling for collation instead
>     of job-collate because job-collate does not address number-up,
>     finishings, sides, etc.

I spent a few minutes reading about multiple-document-handling and job-collate and was confused:

- I could not find a "job-collate" attribute, but I did find sheet-collate (RFC 3381)
- The "multiple-document-handling" attribute doesn't seem to have any method of requesting number-up, finishings, sides.  The set of keywords defined for that in the IANA registry are all from RFC 2911:

http://pwg.org/ipp/ipp-registrations.xml

Here are the current keywords:
  separate-documents-collated-copies
  separate-documents-uncollated-copies
  single-document
  single-document-new-sheet

The only thing that I could come up with connecting multiple-document-handling to something like N-UP is that multiple-document-handling influences how the documents are handled within a potentially multiple document job, whereas job-collate seems to influence how the entire job is rendered, and so is somehow disconnected from finishings / finishings-col.

I'm obviously missing something so if someone could point me in the right direction on this one that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Smith

/**
    Smith Kennedy