[IPP] IPP Finishings 2.0: Presets?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Oct 9 00:53:59 UTC 2013

All,

Something I've been thinking about for IPP Finishings 2.0 is the notion of "presets" for finishings-col - there is already a "template-name" member attribute, but what about combining multiple finishings for standard post-processing (e.g., booklet + cover + saddlestitch + bale)?

There is also the question of default values - right now we don't have a "finishings-col-database" attribute that provides the defaults for each template-name.  But there is a finishings-col-ready attribute. Should we add a finishings-col-database attribute to list all of the defaults for each template-name? Or is finishings-col-ready sufficient?

I think we should make it clear that the presence of the corresponding member attribute is what activates a particular finisher and not the use of a specific template-name - that will make it clear that vendor, user, or site-defined template-name values can apply one or more finishing options just by setting the corresponding member attributes (stitching, punching, folding, etc.)  And by having finishings-col-ready/database there with all of the details, it will be possible for Client UI to visually simulate the results of finishing instructions in addition to the usual selection-by-name.

Thoughts?