[IPP] RFC: Identify-Printer mini-extension

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Dec 10 15:46:35 UTC 2013

Ira,

On Dec 9, 2013, at 5:36 PM, Ira McDonald <blueroofmusic at gmail.com> wrote:
> I also don't think that System Control Service should get into this business
> - or maybe I'm crazy and that actually is the *right* place?  Should SCS,
> rather than an individual service, be the target of this device-level operation?

I don't think so.  Clients are talking to a particular service, not generally the system control service.  Sending an Identify-Printer means "identify the device(s) used by this service".

> Someday, we need a lightweight IPP registration for whole new attributes
> (in an existing attribute group), I suspect.

Technically that process is defined in RFC 2911 as "submit a registration through the IANA web site", which lands the registration in our hands.  And of course WG discussion, just as we do for MIB registrations.

However, PWG Process/3.0 already provides us with the required process for us (vs. the IETF):

9.2 Registration of Keywords and Values

Proposals for registrations of new keywords and values for existing elements shall follow the following process:

1)  Each Working Group will appoint a Maintenance Editor for their PWG Standard.

2)  Anyone can initiate a proposal by starting an e-mail discussion on the appropriate Working Group mailing list or submitting a Technical Brief describing the request.

3)  After there is general agreement on the mailing list for the proposal, the Working Group Chair or the proposer issues a Call for Objection (see below) on the pwg-announce mailing list with a description of the proposal that includes:

⎯  A description of the requirement being met or the problem being solved.

⎯  A description of the proposed solution.

⎯  A detailed description of the changes to the standard or schemas which are proposed to be integrated into the standard at a future date.

4) To make the status of proposed registrations clear to PWG participants and others, the Working Group Chair will ensure that approved registrations are documented in the following Working Group directory:

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/[working group]/approved-addenda

where [working group] is the project acronym. When the standard is revised and re-approved, any relevant registrations or extensions that were included in the revision will be removed from the addenda directory.

9.3 Registration of New Operations and Semantic Elements

Proposals for registration or extension of a standard to include new operations or semantic elements for existing groups shall adhere to the following process:

1)  Anyone can initiate a proposal by submitting a Technical Brief to the appropriate Working Group describing the registration or extension. The Technical Brief should be able to function as a complete, standalone technical description of the proposed extension with formal references to the relevant standard.
2)  After there is general agreement in the Working Group, the Working Group Chair will issue a Last Call for comments on the proposal. Upon successful Last Call completion, the Working Group Chair may issue a Call for Objection on the pwg-announce mailing list or continue with PWG Formal Approval for a Technical Brief.
3)  To make the existence and status of the approved Technical Brief clear to PWG participants and others, the Working Group Chair will ensure that approved registrations are documented in the following Working Group directory: ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg[working group]/approved-addenda, where [working group] is the project acronym.
When the standard is revised and re-approved, any relevant registrations or extensions that were included in the revision will be removed from the addenda directory.

9.4 Compatible Extension of a Standard that Includes Major New Element Groups or Objects

Any extension to a PWG standard that includes the addition of major new element groups or objects will be treated as a revision of the standard and shall follow the Formal PWG Standards-track Process.