[IPP] RFC: Identify-Printer mini-extension

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Dec 10 16:36:58 UTC 2013

Ira,

On Dec 10, 2013, at 8:51 AM, Ira McDonald <blueroofmusic at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> I agree with you - that's what I was realizing when I wrote my previous note.
> Identify-Xxx is a device-level operation.

I disagree, Identify-Xxx is a service-level operation that causes the identification of any physical device(s) associated with that service.  We don't provide device interfaces, just service interfaces...

> BTW - what about conflicts between two different services that receive
> conflicting Identify-Xxx operations (or cancels)?

AFAIK, coordination of subunits between services is implementation-defined behavior.  If one service is using the buzzer then another service has to wait (or error-out) to use it.

IMHO, cancel should only apply to the identification done by that service, not to all services.