[IPP] RFC: Identify-Printer mini-extension

William A Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Tue Dec 10 19:10:14 UTC 2013

How brief is the Identify signal?  It will probably be both implementation
and identify type dependent. A 10-second flash of a message on a screen on a
printer would probably be useless unless the observer were already looking
at the screen. But a 10- second beep might be more than enough. Ideally, the
implementation would allow local cancel, so the person for whom the identify
was intended could shut it off. But I think that allowing for remote cancel
is desirable, if not mandatory.

The idea of illustrations for Identify is interesting. Consideration of the
identify capability requires going from the conceptual to the physical, and
points out an inconsistency between the IPP model and (at least my
conception of ) the Semantic Model (which has hung up Cloud work.)  Coming
out of the MFD work, an SM Device is "An abstract object representing a
hardware component that implements one or more Imaging Services."  Further,
an SM  System is "The object handling interaction that needs to be with the
MFD as an entity rather than a specific Service".   It can therefore be
argued that the System elements refer  to the Device. And is must be the
physical device that is identified. IPP evolves from a "Printer" entity
and, as far as I can tell, the concept of System does not yet exist.there
are just Services. I  suspect that in IPP, the System Control Service will
refer to the "Printer", notwithstanding that rather nebulous definition of
Printer as "Listener for incoming IPP session requests and receiver of
incoming IPP operation requests that represents one or more Physical Devices
or a Logical Device. " (but would appreciate being corrected if that is
wrong).  An IPP Physical Device is "a hardware implementation of a endpoint
device, e.g., a marking engine, a fax modem, etc.", that appears to
correspond to a subunit in the Semantic Model, and cannot be addressed by a
Client.

Because the  IPP Physical Device is what should be identified but cannot be
accessed, I recognize and agree with  Mike's contention that IPP Identify
should be a Service operation since the User requesting Identify is
communicating with an Imaging  Service and the Service usually knows what
IPP Device it is using (although, in a case such as  a Print Service using
multiple marking engines, perhaps not).  Perhaps this carries over to the
SM, so that Identify operations to a Service  cause an identification of the
endpoint subunit used by that Service (although it most cases, the Identify
will be of the MFD).  Going from the Abstract to the Physical has some
problems.

Thanks,

Bill Wagner