[IPP] Cloud Concall Jan 6 at 3PM EST

William A Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Thu Jan 2 19:21:23 UTC 2014

Happy New Year!  We have a Cloud WG conference call scheduled for Monday 6
January at 3 PM ET.  There was some interesting traffic on the mail list
last month, but unfortunately no resolution to the impasse that we seem to
have arrived at. We cannot seem to get past the description of operations
and I have concluded that this is a problem with the model itself in that it
is not consistent with the structure that the  IPP WG has in mind. Since, so
far as I understand, IPP has not really addressed the concept of an Imaging
System and perhaps thinks it unnecessary even for entities performing
multifunction services. The model I proposed (and which appeared to be
accepted) is  system oriented in that information common to multiple
services was provided through the system but information specific to a
service (such as job specific information) was provided by the corresponding
service.

I have no wish to impose a particular model upon the group, but I cannot
continue with the specification without a model approach that the working
group and  I understand. I proposed an approach last month (below), to which
I have received no response. This would  eliminate all System communication
(and mention) with respect to using Imaging Services via the Cloud (I have
updated the diagram). Since this would be a major rewrite of the
specification ( and all of the sequence diagrams).  I would not proceed with
his approach without active working group consensus.

I suggest that establishing a model approach, either based on what I propose
or some other ideas, be the subject of Monday's conference call. Based on
consensus  (or lack of same, or lack of comment), we can decide whether
continue this project is warranted.

Thanks,

Bill Wagner