[IPP] Models

William A Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Fri Jan 10 17:02:00 UTC 2014

Pete,

The configuration of an " IPP Printer" being composed of an IPP Server and a
Print Service follows the diagram in IPP SIX and, indeed, goes back to RFC
2911.  Furthermore, the "output device" was not considered part of the IPP
Printer. We did not necessarily adhere to this configuration in the MFD
model where we defined the Device as representing the hardware implementing
the Service, prompting two distinct uses of the word "device". I think the
point of separating the IPP Server and the Print Service  was that IPP just
defines the IPP interface to the IPP Printer but does not define the form or
specifics of the Print Service (one could argue that the Semantic Model
does). But the separation is convenient in considering IPP  multifunction so
that, as you suggest, there is a common IPP front end to potentially
multiple imaging services.

I am inclined, in the SM3 document, to eliminate the <service> term in
defining operations (e.g., Create<service>Job), unless they are
service-type specific. The understanding would be that the specific service
is in the address.  What is your opinion in this?

Thanks,

Bill Wagner