[IPP] IPP Scan - Is Push scanning mandatory?

Zehler, Peter Peter.Zehler at xerox.com
Tue Feb 11 20:45:50 UTC 2014

Mike,

First, some workflows require push scan.  That does not mean push scan == workflow.  I do not consider scan to DropBox, SkyDrive or Flickr to be workflows but they are none the less useful "software optimizations".  Although a "fire and forget" aspect of the feature might be considered more than just an optimization.

Second, I expect that certain workflow Apps will only show scanners that can potentially deliver scans directly to the destination.  Pull only scanners are excluded from consideration.

As I said, I can live with a Boolean since that will narrow the field to at least the scanners capable of delivering scans directly to a destination.  The reason the schemes would be of interest is that finding a scanner capable of "remote copy" (i.e., scan to ipp/ipps) might be of interest.  A scan-to-email scanner might also be interesting for a client to find.   I would think that a push scanner could be depended upon to support http/https.  Which leaves ftp, ftps and smb.  I see some workflow solutions using hot folders that would benefit from that information but that is not a primary concern.

Peter Zehler

Xerox Research Center Webster
Email: Peter.Zehler at Xerox.com<mailto:Peter.Zehler at Xerox.com>
Office: +1 (585) 265-8755
Mobile: +1 (585) 329-9508
FAX: +1 (585) 265-7441
US Mail: Peter Zehler