[IPP] IPP Scan - Is Push scanning mandatory?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Mar 17 14:31:20 UTC 2014

(Apologies for the late reply; I am still working through a backlog of email...)

On Feb 19, 2014, at 4:22 AM, Soma Meiyappan <Soma.Meiyappan at conexant.com> wrote:
> [Soma] When US federal TCPA law talks about fax headers/cover-page for fax machines/senders, should it be interpreted as being applicable for images transmitted through tel: and fax: schemes only and not to mailto:, ipp:, etc…, which inherently involve digital formats with richer meta-data capabilities?

IANAL, but an application claiming to offer Internet Fax capabilities will likely be subject to the same regulations that traditional fax is subject to.  Naturally this will depend on local laws and regulations, and certainly if the destination is an ipp: or ipps: URI then the job ticket/accounting information can be passed out-of-band rather than embedded in the delivered images.

> Document sent using these digital formats can identify the sender through a username that is embedded in the file (be it a PDF, TIFF or JPEG).

Generally speaking, we (the PWG) do not like embedding job ticket/accounting information in the PDL.

> If the IPP FaxOut specification should be interpreted such that the same content (incl the header) should be sent to all destinations (irrespective of the  destination scheme), then it makes the case for “push-scan” in IPP Scan stronger.

I don't think we can require push scan support, as the hardware requirements may preclude support on some printers (think: non-networked MFDs that support IPP USB and the various IPP services...)  And more to the point, push scan can be simulated even by embedded/mobile devices that might be used to initiate a scan.

> *If* there is a use case for discovery of fax services that can deliver using a particular URI scheme, we could add a corresponding "Fax2" TXT key, however nobody has asked for it...  (and FWIW, I would argue it would be more useful than the Scan2 key, since at least then you are discovering a delivery capability that cannot be easily reproduced in software...)
> [Soma] If the case for PushScan exists and if a device supports it, then I can see Scan2 (or Fax2) in TXT record being useful especially with the discovery features in Wifi-Direct/P2P and in a kiosk like environment where the IPP client may not have other network connectivity.

WFDS has its own service descriptors and does not use Bonjour.  At present, Bonjour is only used for Infrastructure Wi-Fi and wired networking, not P2P.