[IPP] Are these attributes what were agreed to for IPP Scan?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Apr 9 13:26:01 UTC 2014

Pete,

Which operation attributes do you want to include?

attributes-charset
attributes-natural-language

These can be taken from the Job already.

compression or compression-accepted

Certainly a possibility, although the Client probably doesn't know the destination's capabilities so we might want to use "compression-accepted" attribute to list what is acceptable to the Client.  Using "compression-accepted" would also address security considerations for compression (BEAST and other attacks) that we've never talked about in the PWG - the Client is the only entity with the context to know whether it is safe to compress the output from a security perspective...

document-charset
document-metadata
document-name
document-natural-language

These can be taken from the Job or generated by the Scan service.

document-digital-signature
document-format
document-format-details
job-impressions
job-impressions-estimated

These are generated/set by the Scan service.

document-password
job-password
job-password-encryption

These are explicitly *not* part of the Job Ticket for security reasons, and thus we cannot include them in the "destination-attributes" collection.  And while it is possible we could introduce a parallel operation attribute ("destination-operation-attributes (1setOf collection)"?) that seems a bit too hackish.

ipp-attribute-fidelity
job-mandatory-attributes

These could be take from the Job, but I can see how you might want to apply fidelity to a specific destination.

job-authorization-uri

Implementation-defined behavior until we have a standard for passing credentials through (to be used with Validate-Job to get the job-authorization-uri value...)

original-requesting-user-name
requesting-user-name
requesting-user-uri

These can be taken from the Job; supporting it per-destination seems like we are trying to address identity-passing without authentication...

Also, if we do a "destination-attributes (collection)" Job Template and member attribute then we'll need a "destination-attributes-supported" Printer Description attribute.  I don't see a need for a -default version, as there is no -default for the destination, but we'll need to make it clear whether any "destination-attributes" attribute in the "destination-uri-ready" value is used as the default for that destination URI.