[IPP] printer-alert in PWG 5100.9 & its relevance in IPP FaxOut and IPP Scan

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Wed May 14 14:28:49 UTC 2014

Hi,

'configurationChange' has always been a one-time event - it was originally
derived
from the prtGeneralConfigChanges counter in Printer MIB v1 and v2 (RFC 1759
and
RFC 3805).  It was defined as OPTIONAL event (not state) in IPP Events
Notifications
and Subscriptions (RFC 3995), named 'printer-config-changed'.

Some confusion may arise because PWG 5100.9 defines new values for the IPP
attribute "job-state-reasons" - these are NOT states - they are durable
reasons that
"job-state" may have changed in the past.  They must not be simply "aged"
out of the
"job-state-reasons" attribute.  But, if they reflect a binary event (e.g.,
coverOpen),
then they must be removed from "job-state-reasons" when the condition
clears.

I'll let Mike and Pete answer why it's listed as REQUIRED in IPP FaxOut and
IPP Scan.
That doesn't sound right to me, based on RFC 3995.

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
mailto: blueroofmusic at gmail.com