[IPP] printer-alert in PWG 5100.9 & its relevance in IPP FaxOut and IPP Scan

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu May 15 15:06:33 UTC 2014

Soma,

The "printer-alert" attribute mirrors the corresponding Printer MIB properties and provides a detailed reporting of current state and configuration changes for the printer.  There is a discussion of how to handle configuration changes specifically in section 2.2.13.4 of Printer MIB v2 (RFC 3805) - see:

    http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3805#section-2.2.13.4

Ultimately, "printer-alert" reports the current state and a (short) history of unary events such as configuration changes.

We require this attribute because having a way to monitor the health/condition of a printer is important and SNMP over UDP is unreliable or unavailable on many networks.  This is discussed at some length in PWG 5100.9.

Since most printers already implement the Printer MIB and but do not implement IPP Notifications, requiring "printer-alert" is a relatively small thing to ask implementors to do.

"printer-alert" is also required for IPP Everywhere, which is our current "baseline" for minimum IPP implementation requirements for all services.  The ultimate goal is to be able to use and manage any printer via IPP, with a guaranteed minimum level of functionality (and thus interoperability).