[IPP] WG Last Call of IPP Scan Service specification

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Mon May 19 15:23:15 UTC 2014

Hi Soma,

Thanks for your careful reading of these IPP specs.

We discussed this comment during the Thursday IPP WG session
at the PWG F2F meeting last week, when looking at IPP Scan with
Pete Zehler.

The IPP F2F minutes state that this issue should be resolved on the
IPP mailing list, but there was unanimous consensus in the meeting:

(1) IPP FaxOut - these date-time attributes should remain REQUIRED
(because they satisfy regulatory requirements for a Fax service).

(2) IPP Scan - these date-time attributes should be changed to either
RECOMMENDED (i.e., best practice) or simply OPTIONAL.

Please note that in IPP Everywhere (PWG 5100.14), the attributes
printer-config-change-date-time and printer-state-change-date-time
attributes are REQUIRED in Table 6 for conformance (see notes 2
and 3 below the table).

Obviously, the underlying printer-date-time attribute should have
the same conformance level as the change-xxx attributes in IPP
Everywhere, IPP FaxOut, and IPP Scan.  This appears to me to
be an oversight in these specs.

Please comment further on this thread, to clarify your thoughts.

Cheers,
- Ira (co-chair of IPP WG)

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
mailto: blueroofmusic at gmail.com