[IPP] WG Last Call of IPP Scan Service specification

Soma Meiyappan Soma.Meiyappan at conexant.com
Wed May 21 13:37:50 UTC 2014

Hi Mike,

Making printer-xxx-date-time & printer-current-time REQUIRED for consistency across the 3 primary specifications will be fine as long as devices that do not have a notion of calendar time can provide "no-value" as RFC 2911 allows for "printer-current-time" (and attributes whose value is derived from that). But, that is effectively making it STRONGLY RECOMMENDED, in principle, isn't it?

Personally, I feel that making something REQUIRED typically sets an expectation on the validity/accuracy of the data that the attribute provides although there is no explicit claim/requirement on the validity/accuracy made in the underlying specification.

Thanks and Regards,
Somasundaram.