[IPP] Fwd: [Printing-architecture] pwgtoraster vs calibrated spaces

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Jun 2 11:50:01 UTC 2014

Ira,

The gamma value 2.2 is an approximation for sRGB, and since sGray has never been formally defined we went with "just like sRGB just grayscale".  The following plot shows a gamma 2.2 line (dotted blank line) against the sRGB curve (solid red line). You'll notice that the values are almost exactly the same.

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SRGB_gamma.svg

A search for any specifications on sGray turns up nothing, and all of the other "hits" on the term points to sGray using the same transfer curve as sRGB.

So I'd be interested in seeing what reference James is referring to, because *I* haven't seen it and the CUPS raster definition goes back quite a few years...