[IPP] Fwd: IPP Scan operational attribute

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Jun 16 11:45:37 UTC 2014

Ira,

I'm not a big fan of this proposal - I'd prefer the parallel 1setOf that we typically use in IPP rather than invent a sparse syntax, particularly when the most common use case is a single destination (and the second most common is probably a list of email recipients that won't need this...)

Also, if we want to generalize this in the future, perhaps prefix the member attributes with "access-" instead of "destination-", with the operation attribute being "destination-accesses (1setOf collection)".  That would make it:

    Operation Attributes:

    destination-accesses (1setOf collection)
        access-data (1setOf octetString(MAX))
        access-type (type3 keyword | name)
        access-user-name (name(MAX))

    Printer Description Attributes:

    access-type-supported (1setOf type3 keyword | name)
    destination-accesses-supported (1setOf type2 keyword)
        (required values 'access-data', 'access-type', and 'access-user-type' if supported)

For the access-data member attribute, I wouldn't hardcode it to be concatenation of values, since there are auth methods that require multiple "passwords", but rather define it for each access-type value.

(Future for Print-URI/Send-URI)

    Operation Attribute:

    document-access (collection)

    Printer Description Attribures:

    document-access-supported (1setOf type2 keyword)