[IPP] New Cloud-related operations for IPP System Service

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Dec 1 21:36:15 UTC 2014

Ira,

> On Dec 1, 2014, at 3:51 PM, Ira McDonald <blueroofmusic at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> Thanks - that all makes sense to me.
>
> Oh - the other new operation for System Service should be
> Get-Printer-Attributes that allows a simple "ipp" URI (w/out
> any authentication?) that does a "magic" redirect to the default
> print service, right?

Right, without authentication to allow Clients to discover printers.  Most IPP clients cannot support authentication of Get-Printer-Attributes, but instead need the "get" call to setup a queue and *then* they can authenticate...

> BTW - what *is* the default print service?  The first one in
> the list of configured-printers (services) that's of type print?

I'd leave that as implementation-defined - default queue could be designated by an admin or could be a release queue (so nothing gets printed until the user releases the job at a printer...)