[IPP] IETF I-D on transport port usage

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless Architect) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Wed Dec 10 19:53:42 UTC 2014

Hi Ira,

I know this is a long-stale thread, but I was just re-reading RFC 2817, and Section 1 “Motivation” says this, which is germane to this subject (and even references IPP!):

1. Motivation
   The historical practice of deploying HTTP over SSL3 [3] has
   distinguished the combination from HTTP alone by a unique URI scheme
   and the TCP port number. The scheme ’http’ meant the HTTP protocol
   alone on port 80, while ’https’ meant the HTTP protocol over SSL on
   port 443.  Parallel well-known port numbers have similarly been
   requested -- and in some cases, granted -- to distinguish between
   secured and unsecured use of other application protocols (e.g.
   snews, ftps). This approach effectively halves the number of
   available well known ports.
   At the Washington DC IETF meeting in December 1997, the Applications
   Area Directors and the IESG reaffirmed that the practice of issuing
   parallel "secure" port numbers should be deprecated. The HTTP/1.1
   Upgrade mechanism can apply Transport Layer Security [6] to an open
   HTTP connection.
Just wanted to share this with the group, for whatever reason.

Smith

/**
    Smith Kennedy
    Wireless Architect - Client Software - IPG-PPS
    Hewlett-Packard Co.
*/