[IPP] Xerox has reviewed the IPP INFRA specification and has comments

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Feb 25 13:01:15 UTC 2015

Daniel,

Thanks for the comments; responding to your non-editorial comments right away...

> On Feb 24, 2015, at 8:04 PM, Manchala, Daniel <Daniel.Manchala at xerox.com> wrote:
>
> Line 447, Section 3.2.4., it would make it clear if we say “… converted PWG Raster data from the Infrastructure Printer” rather than just “from the Printer”.
>
> Line 468., Section 3.2.6., I might have missed it, but what attributes describe marker supply levels to Jane?
>
> Section 5.9.1: Might be good to add the following Job Attributes in addition to “job-impressions-completed (integer)” – “job-impressions-completed-color” and “job-impressions-completed-black-only” or something like that to count color vs. b/w impressions completed.

We don't have anything in the Job MIB (RFC 2707) that we can pull from for this. Also since these are general job accounting attributes/metrics I would prefer to see them in a separate "Job Metrics" extension specification that can be used for a regular IPP Printers, too.

> Likewise, might be good to add the following Job Attributes in addition to “job-media-sheets-completed(integer)” – “ job-media-sheets-completed-one-sided” and “job-media-sheets-completed-two-sided” (I know we have “job-pages-completed”, but it makes more sense to continue on the media-sheets-completed-xyz”).

Again, there is nothing in the Job MIB to support this, so we'll need a separate extension...

> How about adding “job-percent-completed” to indicate how much a job has been completed. May not make sense for small jobs (as they would take less than an hour to print, but if there is a job that takes days or weeks to complete, it might be a useful attribute to add).

CUPS has a "job-media-progress" attribute that provides a percentage of the current page, however it is really only useful for inkjet printers.  For large jobs a Client can calculate a "job-percent-completed" value from "job-impressions-completed", "job-impressions", and "copies".