[IPP] Fwd: [Printing-architecture] CMD: field of device ID, which entry for PWG Raster?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Nov 10 16:03:46 UTC 2015

Ira/Till,

> On Nov 10, 2015, at 9:24 AM, Ira McDonald <blueroofmusic at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Till,
>
> Forwarding to the PWG IPP WG list for comment.  I'm not sure what the
> best practice would be for the IEEE 1284 Device ID CMD field for PWG
> Raster.
>
> Mike - suggestions?

Per PWG 5107.2:

Conforming implementations of this specification SHOULD use IANA Printer MIB Interpreter Types (primary) or MIME Media Types (secondary) instead of private types, for interoperability.

The current IANA Printer MIB (http://www.iana.org/assignments/ianaprinter-mib/ianaprinter-mib) has the following:

PrtInterpreterLangFamilyTC ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
        langPWGRaster(84),   -- Not in RFC 1759
                             -- PWG 5102.4: PWG Raster Format
                             -- ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/candidates/
                             --   cs-ippraster10-20120420-5102.4.pdf
                             -- MIME type "image/pwg-raster"
which means that the CMD field SHOULD contain either 'PWGRaster' (preferred) or 'image/pwg-raster'.