[IPP] Slides to discuss Orientation and feed direction in Finishings 2.x posted

Zehler, Peter Peter.Zehler at xerox.com
Wed May 25 11:34:16 UTC 2016

Smith,
I would prefer to have the limitations of finishings for an IPP Printer expressed using the "job-constraints-supported" approach.  I believe that tying finishings limitations to physical attributes of the media path is the wrong approach.  We have achieved a great deal of flexibility in implementation choices and improved interoperability as a result of treating the IPP Printer as  virtual device.  There are times when the physical configuration/status of a printer is important.  I don't believe that the construction of a print job ticket should be one of those times.  Expressing the finishings limitation in terms of the available media is preferable.  That way the physical aspects of the printer are factored out.  I know we have the tray selections defined for media but that was originally put in for backward compatibility and for very low end devices that have no concept of media.  I don't believe any printer supporting IPP does not comprehend media.  One of the remaining use cases I see now for specifying media with a tray name is for custom media via the bypass tray.
Pete

Peter Zehler
Xerox Corp.
Global Development Group