[IPP] New stable draft of IPP Finishings 2.1 available for review

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Sat Oct 1 23:08:27 UTC 2016

Smith,

One comment inline, we can talk more on the Wednesday concall...

> On Sep 27, 2016, at 12:59 AM, Kennedy, Smith (Wireless Architect) <smith.kennedy at hp.com> wrote:
>
> Greetings,
>
> I have posted for review a new stable draft of IPP Finishings 2.1. It is available here:
>
>  http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippfinishings21-20160926.pdf
>  http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippfinishings21-20160926.docx
>  http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippfinishings21-20160926-rev.pdf
>  http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippfinishings21-20160926-rev.docx
>
> Highlights within include the following:
>
> * Made some modifications to the "printer-finisher" definition including updates to 'Table 2 - Keywords for "printer-finisher"'.
>
> * Added a new "printer-finisher-supplies" attribute that conveys the finisher unit's supplies information, which is defined in "Printer Finishing MIB" [RFC3806] but has no IPP equivalent.
>
> * Added a comment to section 5.3 "job-pages-per-set" asking for a description of how "job-pages-per-set" would work in the case where the Job contains multiple Documents.

This is defined by the "multiple-document-handling" attribute, just as for the rest of the Job Template attributes.

Conceptually we want to have a "pages-per-set" Document Template attribute, although I suspect that it would not see much use - "job-pages-per-set" is for things like PWG Raster Format where the Client is providing its own copies/sets to the Printer (multiple documents merged at the Client) rather than sending a high-level format (PDF) and asking the Printer to produce multiple sets/copies.  Printers sophisticated enough to support the Document object are probably going to support PDF...

(so maybe we can just reference the section on "multiple-document-handling" in RFC2911bis and say why there is no equivalent Document Template attribute?)