[IPP] Proposed System Service operations for Printers w/ Resources

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 15:18:41 UTC 2016

Hi Pete,

Structural changes from Nancy's original SM Resource Service:
(1) No longer any Resource Service
(2) All Resources are owned by the System
(3) Improved set of Resource-level operations (Create, SendResourceData,
Install are all REQUIRED before allocation of any Resource)
(4) New "resource-state" (pending, available, installed, canceled, aborted)
replaces dubious resource leases (my original lousy idea).

Printer-scope Resources can be allocated to more than one instance
of Print Service.  We have avoided using the first-class verb "Associate"
to avoid confusion with security/access-control aspects.

A number of Resources can (usually will) be pre-installed on a System
at manufacturing time.  These can be allocated with Create-Printer (with
the operation attribute "resource-ids").  Also later implicitly allocated
with
HTTP PUT request (per IPP Shared Infra Ext).  But when an Admin has
later installed a bunch of new Resources (fonts, forms, ICC profiles), we
want to use a first-class operation to allocate them to specific Printers.
For this case "Acquire" is the wrong semantic and "Release" would be
overloaded (we have avoiding ever doing this in System Service drafts).

WDYT?

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
mailto: blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Jan-April: 579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176  734-944-0094
May-Dec: PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839  906-494-2434