[IPP] New draft of IPP Presets posted; discussion needed on storing presets in Printer

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 22:32:16 UTC 2017

Hi Mike,

For Create-Printer it's really nice to have a template-printer Resource
for each supported service type.

I agree about the template-job (too heavyweight to configure).  But
we already plan that the HTTP PUT of a font to a well-known URL
will quietly create a corresponding Resource object for that font.
Why not do that simple HTTP PUT for job templates?

Pete's retired from PWG work or he'd be speaking up for Job Templates
(they're part (in XML at present) of PWG Job Ticket spec).  I think the
MIME type of a Job Template Resource should allow application/ipp
or text/xml.

Is even the simple HTTP PUT support too much for IPP native job
templates (i.e., wire-encoded IPP attributes, not PAPI or XML)?

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
mailto: blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Jan-April: 579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176  734-944-0094
May-Dec: PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839  906-494-2434