[IPP] Question concerning 5100.7 section 5.2 "Job Description attributes that are defaults for the Document(s) in the Job"

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless Architect) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Thu Sep 7 20:45:02 UTC 2017

Greetings,

Perhaps since I wasn't involved in the creation of PWG 5100.7, I'm having difficulty understanding the meaning of its section 5.2 "Job Description attributes that are defaults for the Document(s) in the Job". I don't quite understand how to even parse its title. Does this mean that 5100.7 is prescribing that the Printer MUST use these Job Description attributes' values as the values for the corresponding Document Description attributes in the case where the Client hasn't overtly specified values for the individual Document objects in a Document creation operation? The use of "default" in this context seems different than the "xxx-default" convention from RFC 8011 etc.

Smith

/**
    Smith Kennedy
    Wireless Architect - Client Software - IPG-PPS
    Standards - IEEE ISTO PWG / Bluetooth SIG / Wi-Fi Alliance / NFC Forum / USB IF
    Chair, IEEE ISTO Printer Working Group
    HP Inc.
*/