[IPP] PWG: Canon proposal to extend the IPP Preset draft specification

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless Architect) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Mon Oct 23 21:16:17 UTC 2017

Hi Mike,

It seems to me that Canon's proposal is simply to require that the Client pass back to the Printer the "preset-name" if one is chosen. But if I understand your feedback, if the Client provides the "preset-name" in the Job Creation operation, then we have to be clear about which attribute value takes precedence when one value is also included in the Job Creation operation and is also present in the Preset.  This might arise if a user selects a preset and then makes further selections that effectively overwrite the value(s) listed in the preset.

I like your alternative, because it keeps things simpler. But from a purely PWG / certification / compliance point of view, I'm not sure how we would go about certifying that the Client will behave properly.

As you said, let's please discuss at this week's call.

Smith

/**
    Smith Kennedy
    Wireless Architect - Client Software - IPG-PPS
    Standards - IEEE ISTO PWG / Bluetooth SIG / Wi-Fi Alliance / NFC Forum / USB IF
    Chair, IEEE ISTO Printer Working Group
    HP Inc.
*/