[IPP] IPP Last Call of IPP Presets Registration (Ends 10pm December 1, 2017) - feedback from Canon

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & Standards Architec) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Tue Dec 5 01:19:18 UTC 2017

Hi Rick,

I'm sorry the Canon posting to the IPP WG reflector didn't go through. Looking in my own client, I don't see it. I checked the moderator request page in the list server's administrator page for the IPP WG, but I don't see any pending messages that were blocked. Posting requires subscription to the list, which is unencumbered by any moderator approval and doesn't require membership in the PWG.

However, to briefly respond to Canon's request that the IPP Presets registration document should be updated to say that the Client MUST return "preset-name" because there is the suspicion that the Client might not send unsupported attributes listed in the preset, I do not understand why Canon believes this actually resolves Canon's concerns:

Even if a Client supports "job-presets-supported" insofar as it presents the preset choices in its print dialog UI, it seems nearly as likely that a Client might choose to not return "preset-name" as any other attribute.
As we discussed in the IPP WG, the Client is supposed to still allow the User to make individual choices after selecting a Preset. If the Client returns "preset-name", it becomes ambiguous at what point the "preset-name" still applies if the user continues to make individual choices. This could cause problems on the Printer because it may make choices based on "preset-name" that are no longer germane based on the rest of the User's choices as conveyed via the Job Template attributes.
A vendor may create its own vendor-specific Job Template attribute equivalent to "preset-name" (such as "canon-preset-name") and use that, which is as likely to be conveyed as a standard "preset-name".
Some client vendors have already expressed support for sending all the attributes in a preset, including the vendor-specific ones. We have no Client vendors that have expressed an objection to doing this. Are you aware of any clients that are opposed to this?

This is basically why we came to the state of IPP Presets as it exists today, mandating that the Client send all the attributes in the Preset, whether or not the Client supports them via UI controls. Is there something that I or others in the IPP WG have missed?

Cheers,

Smith

/**
    Smith Kennedy
    Wireless & Standards Architect - IPG-PPS
    Standards - IEEE ISTO PWG / Bluetooth SIG / Wi-Fi Alliance / NFC Forum / USB-IF
    Chair, IEEE ISTO Printer Working Group
    HP Inc.
*/