[IPP] Excerpt from PWG JDFMAP on "imposition-template"

Michael Sweet msweet at msweet.org
Fri Sep 13 12:00:14 UTC 2019

Ira,

In reading both this section of JDF and section 6.2.18 (which provides the explicit imposition definition in JDF and the Layout element for specifying things), it looks like there isn’t a stand, well-defined list of imposition templates. Indeed, even the examples seem to focus on 2-up, saddle-stitched booklet templates/signatures and letterhead/cover letter applications. Definitely a process-based approach (place input page 1 *here* on the front side of output page 1, etc.) and not something I think we want to reproduce in IPP.

I know we want a booklet template, but what other imposition templates/signatures are common in production?

I can imagine some marketing communication applications (business cards, postcards, etc.) where the same content is repeated on the front and  back sides (and is cut after printing) although we might need to define a keyword format like ‘same-up_COLS_ROWS_WIDTHxHEIGHTunits’ to specify the layout, e.g.:

- ‘same-up_4_3_2x3.5in’ for business cards
- ‘same-up_2_2_3.5x5in’ for US postcards
- ‘same-up_2_2_105x148in’ for A6 postcards

This at least would offer a path to convert from IPP to JDF layout elements...

Thoughts?

Michael Sweet