[IPP] MOPRIA Alliance Print Specification Accounting Support requirement 4.18.2.d is incompatible with Apple AirPrint

Michael Sweet msweet at msweet.org
Thu Jan 23 13:47:00 UTC 2020

Chris,

As many of the members on this list do not have access to the MOPRIA Alliance Print Specification, it is a bit difficult to discuss any requirements that it has, the use cases that are being addressed, etc.  Moreover, this mailing list is not an appropriate forum for filing bug reports against or making claims about any other member's IPP implementation or plans.  The PWG defines voluntary, interoperable standards for printing, and we have no process for enforcing compliance with any of those standards.  I would prefer that we keep any discussion focused on defining an interoperable standard for accounting with well-defined use cases and requirements that all vendors can agree to follow and support.

WRT the attributes in question, both job-account-id and job-accounting-user-id are now RECOMMENDED to support by IPP Clients in the recently published PWG 5100.7-2019: IPP Job Extensions v2.0.  Additional accounting- and transaction-related attributes are defined in PWG 5100.16-2013: IPP Transaction-Based Printing Extensions (currently being reviewed for an errata update), and of course we have OAuth Authorization (PWG 5100.18-2015: IPP Shared Infrastructure Extensions and PWG 5199.10-2019: IPP Authentication Methods) that will likely be part of future corporate/managed printing solutions. Finally, we have been actively revising 5100.11-2011 (Enterprise Printing Extensions, formerly JPS2) to include discussion of Release Printing and my own "Job Accounting with IPP" best practice document which is attempting to document and make recommendations for the wide variety of accounting solutions.  As these most recent documents have shown, accounting support is not just a matter of adding text fields for two RECOMMENDED Job Template attributes.

I see four specific items below that are appropriate topics of discussion in the IPP workgroup as we continue to develop the Job Accounting best practice document:

1. What are the use cases that need job-accounting-user-id but not job-account-id?

2. Do we need a way for a Printer to report that it would like the Client to show UI for and send certain Job Template attributes, above and beyond the current "printer-requested-job-attributes"?

3. What additional Client UI recommendations do we want to add to the Job Accounting best practice document?  For example, what is the recommended UI for "job-account-id"?

4. How can a Printer best support a (legacy/not updated) Client whose Job Creation request is missing required or requested information?

Thanks!