[IPP] MOPRIA Alliance Print Specification Accounting Support requirement 4.18.2.d is incompatible with Apple AirPrint

Michael Sweet msweet at msweet.org
Thu Jan 30 15:50:16 UTC 2020

Chris,

> On Jan 29, 2020, at 3:11 AM, Rizzo, Christopher <Christopher.Rizzo at xerox.com> wrote:
>
> Mike,
>
> This email is an attempt to answer the questions you posed in your previous email.  In trying to get my head around the issue, I noticed I did not address any of your questions.  The meeting time for the PWG has been typically a difficult time for me to attend due to other commitments, so my participation has not been as stellar as I would like.  The same is going to be true for this week as I have an important doctor's appt. this Thursday.  Apologies for the length of this email...  Hope I don't put everyone to sleep.
>
> 1. What are the use cases that need job-accounting-user-id but not job-account-id?
>
> [crizzo] I can only speak from my experience of course, so I'm sure I'm going to miss use cases.  But here goes:

I wondering if we can provide a little more specific example for these - like a lawyer's office where associates have both a job-accounting-user-id that identifies the partner they are doing work for (?) and a job-account-id that identifies the client they are doing work for?  We need to talk about why an unauthenticated value is useful/acceptable here as opposed to simply using the "most authenticated user identity" for job-accounting-user-id...

I only stick on this point because there are obvious business and legal issues with accounting systems that accept unauthenticated/unvalidated information - it's not enough to say you are John Smith working on contract/account number 123456.  At some point you have to define a level of trust, which can be improved through authentication and validation, e.g. authenticate John Smith using a shared secret (password, whatever) and validate that John Smith is allowed to charge against account number 123456.

Remember we are defining the Best Practices for job accounting systems in this document, which may not match existing accounting systems precisely but definitely needs to address the use cases and requirements of existing accounting systems.

> 2. Do we need a way for a Printer to report that it would like the Client to show UI for and send certain Job Template attributes, above and beyond the current "printer-requested-job-attributes"?
>
> [crizzo]                 I am having trouble finding the specs where printer-mandatory-job-attributes and printer-requested-job-attributes are defined.  PWG 5100.7 contains job-mandatory-attributes Job Attribute, but does not mention printer-mandatory-job-attributes or printer-requested-job-attributes Printer Description attributes that I can find.    I know they are in a spec somewhere, just can't find it right now.

Currently printer-requested-job-attributes is defined in the Job Accounting document, although the plan is to move it to another spec (EPX has been suggested, TRANS is another possibility and is just getting a quick errata update and might be a better fit?)

>  I suggest the following Printer Description matrix for the above accounting systems:
>
>                 SYSTEM-A:  printer-mandatory-job-attributes = job-accounting-user-id, job-account-id;  printer-requested-job-attributes empty
>                 SYSTEM-B:  printer-mandatory-job-attributes = job-accounting-user-id;  printer-requested-job-attributes = job-account-id
>
> But a more general solutions suggests a printer should simply include job-accounting-user-id and job-account-id in printer-mandatory-job-attributes when they are required for a job to print, and if they are optional for a job, move the optional ones to printer-requested-job-attributes.

I think that's the guidance we should be giving for any of the attributes...

> 3. What additional Client UI recommendations do we want to add to the Job Accounting best practice document?  For example, what is the recommended UI for "job-account-id"?
>
> [crizzo]  (Going forward) Supporting implementations:  As I went thru this it was getting pretty robust, so I created a spreadsheet (attached) to try to capture my ideas.  Hope it is understandable and not too complex (implementation wise).  I think the spreadsheet could possibly cover all conceivable implementations though.

Well, the focus of the spreadsheet is clearly on job-account-id and job-accounting-user-id, but we also have document-format-details and many other attributes that were identified previously to consider.

> 4. How can a Printer best support a (legacy/not updated) Client whose Job Creation request is missing required or requested information?
>
> [crizzo]                 Printers that support the new accounting requirements MAY wish to implement accounting exceptions configurable at the printer (for legacy client support it would absolutely be highly recommended, or maybe go so far as making this a MUST, so that legacy clients aren't totally locked out when accounting is enabled).  Jobs received over IPP for example, can be charged to a generic IPP job-accounting-user-id and job-account-id.  Not ideal for locking down accounting on the printer, but if a customer wants to use legacy clients with a supporting printer, this may be the only way.

Agreed, and we probably need to talk about what the specific recommendations should be...

(I'm adding slides to the F2F deck now, we can expand as needed...)