[IPP] BETA: IPP Everywhere Printer Self-Certification Tools v1.0 Update 4

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & IPP Standards) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Fri Feb 14 19:46:32 UTC 2020

I should say further that even though Apple's own "dns-sd" tool uses the "_TYPE._TRANSPORT,_SUBTYPE" notation (which derives from the notation used in the RFC), the "dig" tool only accepts the "_SUBTYPE._sub._TYPE._TRANSPORT" syntax, which matches what is sent over the wire. This works:

$ dig @224.0.0.251 -p 5353 _print._sub._ipp._tcp.local. PTR IN

This doesn't work:

$ dig @224.0.0.251 -p 5353 _ipp._tcp,_print.local. PTR IN

And the bottom line is that the B-1 and B-5.2 tests will fail on Ubuntu when they shouldn't.