[IPP] Slides to discuss feature compatibility topics for IPP EPX

Michael Sweet msweet at msweet.org
Thu Jun 4 17:40:59 UTC 2020

Smith,

> On Jun 4, 2020, at 12:16 PM, Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & IPP Standards) via ipp <ipp at pwg.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> Good question! The way Proof Print had been defined in 5100.11, the “proof-print” Job Template attribute MUST be removed from the copy of the retained job that will conclude the Proof Print, with the intention that the Printer will not retain the Job copy since it lacks its own “proof-print” Job Template attribute. The goal is to not change this in EPX.

I believe the current semantics are if you send a Resubmit-Job operation, the new Job inherits all but the proof-print Job Template attribute, which means that a job-retain-until/-time/-interval attribute in the request (or the corresponding xxx-default value) will apply to the copy.  Thus, the copy of the proof Job *could* also be retained, but only as a side-effect of the job-retain attributes.

> Your question led me to wonder if there are “job accounting” attributes (Job Status attributes) that indicate that a Job is a copy of another Job to construct the audit trail?

Not at present, although I do remember having a discussion about adding a "parent-job-id" attribute at some point for this very reason.  It doesn't look like it actually made it into JPS2, so that might be something to consider adding for EPX. (and then parent-job-id and parent-job-uuid for "fun")