[IPP] Redundancies between IPP attributes and PWG-raster header

Michael Sweet msweet at msweet.org
Thu Oct 15 20:24:44 UTC 2020

Anton,

> On Oct 15, 2020, at 3:23 PM, Anton Thomasson via ipp <ipp at pwg.org> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> I am the developer of a very simple printing app for Sailfish OS that goes by the name "SeaPrint".
>
> From my experimentation with raster formats, I have found that there are several IPP attributes that describe things that need/should be set in the (PWG-)raster header.
> It has even been the case that setting attributes on IPP itself that are in agreement with the value in the raster header, jobs would not be accepted by my printer(s).
>
> Is there any reason/background to this that would be good to know in order to understand it better?

Generally, the page header is provided to support per-page overrides (size and/or source, typically) and a mix of color and grayscale pages in order to optimize printing.

Unfortunately, we don't have an implementor's guide for PWG Raster, but my personal advice is to have the page header match the job attributes.  The CUPS cupsRasterInitPWGHeader function can be used to initialize the page header consistent with the job attributes.