[IPP] Printers using "media-size-name" instead of "media-size"

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & IPP Standards) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Tue Jul 6 20:07:13 UTC 2021

Hi there,

PWG 5100.7 5.3.1.15 and 5.3.1.16 define the "media-size" and "media-size-name" members of "media-col" thus:

What isn't clear to me is whether a Printer will be running a risk if it decides to implement "media-size-name" instead of "media-size", since Clients aren't required to support it? If that is the case, then I'm not sure how a Printer could go about supporting "media-size-name" without risking interoperability issues with Clients.

Am I reading this correctly? If I'm not, I think we have some work to do on this because I don't know how "media-size-name" provides value given that set of normative requirements.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Smith

/**
    Smith Kennedy