[IPP] finishings-supported and finishings-default

Michael Sweet msweet at msweet.org
Mon Nov 22 14:15:30 UTC 2021

Smith,

> On Nov 21, 2021, at 2:32 PM, Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & IPP Standards) via ipp <ipp at pwg.org> wrote:
>
> Hi there,
>
> If a Printer lists the following (ippserver .conf file syntax):
>
> ATTR enum   finishings-supported   4,20,21,22,23 # matches "finishing-template-supported"
> ATTR enum   finishings-default     3 # none
>
> If a Printer supports doing "no finishings" (enum 3), is the Printer required to list 3 (none) in finishings-supported? Our IPP Everywhere Self-Certification doesn't support that scenario currently but STD92 is vague on this subject.

If 'none' is a supported value (and it must be if "finishings-default" uses it, just like any other xxx-default attribute), then it MUST also be listed in "finishings-supported".

It is conceivable that there might be a printer that always performs some sort of finishing, for example cutting a sheet from a roll, but most of the time I'd expect a printer that supports finishings to also support 'none'.