[IPP] Updated draft of IPP Everywhere v2.0 posted

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & IPP Standards) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Fri Jul 21 23:09:32 UTC 2023

Hi Mike,

I'm working on the "What's new in IPP Everywhere v2.0" slide set and I had some feedback on this draft:

Section 3 / 4: There isn't a clear discussion of the different classes of printers ("normal" Physical device vs. Enterprise Printer vs. Production Printer vs. Workgroup Printer) and there isn't a "Model" section. This wouldn't really be a problem except that we have introduced the notion of conditional requirements specific to these different classes of devices. But then section 9.3 "Conditional Conformance Requirements for Printers" lists use cases, but not device classifications. I feel like we need more than just defined terms for these and then using their names in the conformance requirements and Notes listings. I don't know how you might want to structure this, I'm just saying that the way it stands now, it seems a bit ambiguous and confusing to the new reader.
Section 2.2: "Workgroup Printer" definition included but not used anywhere in the document - specific requirements for Workgroup Printers?
Do we need to add "Infrastructure Printer" to IPP Everywhere v2.0?
Section 5.1 or 5.2: There is no mention of requiring the printer to respond to a Get-Printer-Attributes with a resource path of "/", but I think we ought to now require that to propagate and promote that. (Maybe it is in IPP/2.0 4th Edition?).
5.2 / Table 4: Reword Note 1 to be "REQUIRED for Physical Devices, RECOMMENDED otherwise"? And why is Identify-Printer recommended for Logical Devices?
5.3 / Table 5: The table is so long and there are so many notes, I almost wonder if for the sake of reading it ought to be broken up into "required for all IPP Everywhere™ printers", and then conditionally required for each of the classifications?
5.3 / Table 5 - Several instances of "(notes 3)" which should instead be "(note 3)"
5.3 / Table 5 - It would be helpful in a way if "(notes 1 and 10)" was changed to "(note 1)(note 10)" - I loaded this table into a spreadsheet and was parsing for substrings and "note 1 and 10" is awkward. 😊
Table 5: Should we require "finishings-supported" = 'none' for all printers?
Table 5: Reword note 2 to say "REQUIRED for Printers that support the "application/pdf" and/or "image/jpeg" MIME media types"?
14.1 : Table 4 note 1 says "RECOMMENDED for Logical Devices, REQUIRED otherwise" but in 14.1 it says "The Get-Printers operation is now REQUIRED for Logical Devices". I'm not sure which way you were intending this to go, but they ought to be consistent with one another.

That's all for now. Sorry for the late Friday data dump. 😞 I did attach my spreadsheet for requirements analysis.

Have a good weekend!

Smith

/**
    Smith Kennedy