[IPP] "ipp-attribute-fidelity" and media selection

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & IPP Standards) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Thu Aug 24 20:00:54 UTC 2023

Hi Chris,

> On Aug 24, 2023, at 11:52 AM, Rizzo, Christopher <christopher.rizzo at xerox.com> wrote:
>
> CAUTION: External Email
> Smith,
>
> I would ask the same question but I'm wondering what the answer is based on different workflow:
>
> 1. Client performs Validate-Job operation first. If the Validate-Job fails (due to fidelity = true), is it illegal for the client to send a Create-Job or Print-Job request anyway?
>
> 2. Client does not perform Validate-Job operation, and issues Create-Job or Print-Job directly.
>
> I'm am certainly no expert on all the IPP specs (major understatement), and therefore am wondering if certain workflows are or should be defined?

The sequences of different operations that could be used to achieve particular tasks are covered in IPP Implementor's Guide v2
 (http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/candidates/cs-ippig20-20150821-5100.19.pdf).

However, it is still "legal" for a Client to not do a Validate-Job or for a Client to submit the Create-Job unchanged from the Validate-Job even if the Printer rejects the Validate-Job.