[IPP] "ipp-attribute-fidelity" and media selection

Michael Sweet msweet at msweet.org
Wed Aug 30 17:04:07 UTC 2023

Smith Kennedy wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> (I should know the answer to this already but it seems I do not.)
>
> If a Printer receives a Job Creation operation that includes "ipp-attribute-fidelity" = 'true' and also specifies "media" = 'na_letter_8.5x11in', but the Printer does not have that specific media size loaded, how is the Printer to respond?

The Job is accepted (valid, supported media size) and when the Job starts processing the 'media-needed' reason is added to the "printer-state-reasons" attribute.  The "job-state" can be 'processing' or 'processing-stopped'.

Chris Rizzo wrote:
> I would ask the same question but I'm wondering what the answer is based on different workflow:
>
> 1. Client performs Validate-Job operation first. If the Validate-Job fails (due to fidelity = true), is it illegal for the client to send a Create-Job or Print-Job request anyway?

Validate-Job would not fail unless the "media" value was unsupported or conflicting with another attribute/value.

> 2. Client does not perform Validate-Job operation, and issues Create-Job or Print-Job directly.

Validate-Job is optional and is meant as a way to allow Clients to detect conflicting attributes/values prior to a long-running submission.