[IPP] MSN 2.1 question: include "roll_current.roll-1_36x240in" in media-supported?

Michael Sweet msweet at msweet.org
Wed Aug 30 17:14:51 UTC 2023

Smith Kennedy wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> RFC 8011 says that "media-ready" contains a subset of the values listed by "media-supported". Does that include roll keywords like "roll_current.roll-1_36x240in" found on line 450 of your 20230603 revision (clean) of MSN 2.1? Or would you expect that "roll_current.roll-1_36x240in" would only be in "media-ready"?

I would expect that the "current" sizes would only be in "media-ready", however nothing prevents a Printer from also listing it as a "media-supported" value since it *is* a valid media size name - it just isn't all that useful (and there could be side-effects for some Clients like CUPS that would persist the "current" size as a standard printer size in the generated PPD file...)

> I ask because that would seem to violate RFC 8011. But the IPP Everywhere Self-Certification v1.1 update 4 test I-10 doesn't validate that the values held by "media-ready" are also in "media-supported".

That's because custom and roll sizes listed in "media-ready" are the exception - "media-supported" provides min and max size names for custom and roll media while "media-ready" lists the loaded/ready media sizes.