[IPP] (no subject)

Anton Thomasson antonthomasson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 19:50:06 UTC 2023

Hi

Thanks for your reply!

I'm afraid i still don't get it.
What little i understand about PDF rotation is that it tells the viewer to
rotate a page when displaying it.
I.e. not what has been applied, but what *to apply*. (I.e. a "595 x 842
pts, rot 90" page displays as landscape).
(Spec says: "The number of degrees by which the page shall be rotated
clockwise when displayed or printed.")

I tried printing a portrait PDF with choosing landscape in the dialog just
now (Xreader via CUPS on Linux Mint).
What happened then was it came out rotated, scaled down and put to one
side, as if printing number-up=2, but with just one page.
That is quite useless (and number-up exists), so i suspect that's not what
it is supposed to do?

It makes me all the more puzzled as to why the printer would need to be
informed of it then.
What relation does this have to IPP orientation-requested?

Backsides i have then hang of. Thanks for the excellent documentation on
that.

Perhaps i can better describe my confusion with some questions:
- If i have a landscape document and auto-rotate it to portrait before
rasterizing, do i then set some value in this field? If so, what use can be
made of it?
- If the printer has orientation-requested-default=4, should i be producing
a landscape-shaped raster? (i.e. 7016x4961 instead of 4961x7016)
(and set Orientation and LeadingEdge  to match)
- If the user chooses "landscape" for a portrait document going to a
portrait-fed printer, what is supposed to happen?

Br,
Anton