[IPP] EPX prototyping issue / question: does Printer need to support "copies" in order to support "proof-copies"?

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & IPP Standards) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Thu Oct 12 02:52:08 UTC 2023

Hi there,

I've successfully prototyped Job Storage, Job Release and Job Policy, and I had successfully prototyped Job Proof and Suspend, but the latter was tenuous and is now broken again. The difficulty is that I need to use a document format that calls my driver's "driver_data->rendpage_cb" callback so that I can count pages. The driver claims that its document format is PWG Raster, and PAPPL treats PWG Raster as a streaming-only document format. (I could be just confused about some of this and doing it wrong...I don't want to write document parsing code that counts pages for PDF, etc.)

But that got me wondering about the EPX definition of "proof-copies" in section 6.2.2. It says that a Client that supplies "proof-copies" must ALSO supply "copies", which means that Job Proof and Suspend cannot be implemented on streaming (non-spooling) printers that don't support "copies", only "job-pages-per-set", and the document submitted has the copies resent by the client (e.g. for 3 collated copies of a 5 page document, the client sends 15 pages - the 5 page document 3 times). Is that a limitation we still believe the specification ought to impose?

Perhaps we can discuss this tomorrow at the IPP WG meeting.

Smith

/**
    Smith Kennedy
    HP Inc.