[IPP] 5100.18 and Transform Service

Michael Sweet msweet at msweet.org
Tue Nov 21 22:57:14 UTC 2023

Smith,

> On Nov 21, 2023, at 1:30 PM, Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & IPP Standards) via ipp <ipp at pwg.org> wrote:
>
> Hi there,
>
> In reading the currently approved IPP Shared Infrastructure Extensions (PWG 5100.18-2015), it occurred to me that the notion of "pre-processing" discussed in several places in the document is really referring to the "Transform" service that we haven't defined yet. Is that a fair statement?

Not exactly.

Right now we are treating pre-processing the same as print processing - an internal implementation detail.  Even regular printers can have a pre-processing step (where the job-state goes from 'pending' to 'processing' and then 'processing-stopped' until the output device is ready to produce output.

A Transform service *could* be used for this, but we haven't formally defined it and even if we did the Infrastructure Printer would still be calling on it internally and not exposing it so that a Client could see/examine the Transform Job.

> We perhaps need to re-examine the job state transitions with the pre-processing in a v1.1 / v2.0.

WRT INFRA, we *do* need to define how Job Release works through a Proxy, and the corresponding job-state transitions, but I also don't think we should be unnecessarily restricting things since not all Jobs need pre-processing and it would be very easy to put ourselves into an inconsistent state compared to "normal" printing.