McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Thu May 10 14:53:06 EDT 2007

Hi,

At today's WIMS-CIM WG telecon, we discussed a problem
Walt Filbrich (Samsung) found during his prototyping of
the Imaging System State and Counter MIB (aka Counter
MIB v2).

Background:  As Walt observed, the intent of the Abstract
Counter Spec (PWG 5106.1) and its SNMP binding in the
Counter MIB is to be able to expose _all_ of the usage
counters that MFDs currently report through proprietary
interfaces (particularly embedded web servers).

Eventually, there will probably be a PWG Scanner MIB
but, for now, there is no way to distinguish the specific
type of scanner subunit (i.e., ADF versus Platen) for
counts.  But many MFDs separately record and report the
counts for ADF versus Platen.

The proposed solution is to add two values to the
icSubunitTypeTC textual convention, in addition to
the existing generic value 'scanner(50)':

  scannerADF(503) -- scanner with automatic document feeder
  scannerPlaten(504) -- scanner with manual platen

The unanimous concensus at today's WIMS-CIM WG telecon
was that this was a good idea.  We'd like wider review,
before adding this to a Counter MIB working draft.

Please send your comments quickly.

Thanks,

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839