MFD> Rationale for Scan Service Interface

nchen at okidata.com nchen at okidata.com
Fri Sep 21 12:38:45 EDT 2007

Ira,

Thanks for the draft for section 3.1.  Just in case we have time to go
over the text provided by you, I have added it into the last updated Scan
Service draft (with date 20070918). I also did some editorial reformating
of the list of processing flow steps and design requirements, so that the
way they are listed are more consistent. The latest updated Scan Service
draft is available as :

The version with revision marks:
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/mfd/wd/wd-mfdscan10-20070921_rev.pdf
and
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/mfd/wd/wd-mfdscan10-20070921_rev.doc

The version without revision marks:
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/mfd/wd/wd-mfdscan10-20070921.pdf
and
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/mfd/wd/wd-mfdscan10-20070921.doc

-Nancy

"McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald at sharplabs.com>
Sent by: owner-mfd at pwg.org
09/20/2007 06:09 PM

<mfd at pwg.org>
cc

Subject
MFD> Rationale for Scan Service Interface

Hi,

Nancy - for inclusion as section 3.1 in your next draft
of SSI after the Montreal meeting (note slightly changed
title of section).  Modelled on the PSI and Counter MIB
rationale sections.

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434
email: imcdonald at sharplabs.com

3.1  Rationale for Scan Service Interface

The PWG Imaging System Counters specification [PWG5106.1] defines:

(a) A standard set of Imaging Services for Imaging Systems.

(b) A set of use models for monitoring and billing, management,
and accounting for these Imaging Services.

(c) A set of abstract counters for these Imaging Services.
requirements.

(d) A set of conformance requirements for implementations of these
abstract counters in Imaging Systems.

The IPP/1.1 Model and Semantics [RFC2911] and the PWG Print Service
Interface [PWG5104.2] each define:

(a) Models of Print Services, Print Devices, and Print Jobs.

(b) Sets of abstract operations and elements for Print Services.

(c) Sets of abstract operations and elements for Print Jobs.

(d) Sets of conformance requirements for implementations of these
abstract operations and elements in Print Services and Print
Jobs.

The IPP/1.1 Encoding and Transport [RFC2910] and the PWG Print Service
Interface [PWG5104.2] each define:

(a) Concrete protocol stacks for IPP/1.1 (HTTP over TLS) and PSI/1.0
(SOAP over HTTP).

(b) Concrete mappings of operations and elements for Print Services.

(c) Concrete mappings of operations and elements for Print Jobs.
Jobs.

(d) Sets of conformance requirements for implementations of these
concrete operations and elements in Print Services.

In order to support equivalent functionality for scanning in network
multifunction devices, there is a clear need to develop a semantic
model and a set of abstract operations and elements for Scan Services
and Scan Jobs.

In order to implement these abstract operations and elements for Scan
Services and Scan Jobs, there is a clear need to map them onto a
concrete protocol stack to link Scan Clients and Scan Services.

Since the current state-of-the-art Internet network application protocol
stack is the Web Services stack (i.e., WSDL-defined SOAP over HTTP,
using standard Web Services modules for security, addressing, etc.),
there is a clear need to define a binding of these abstract operations
and elements for Scan Services and Scan Jobs onto concrete SOAP messages
and XML Schema instances.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9/20/2007 12:07 PM