Fw: MFD> MFD August 14 & 15 face-to-face meeting minutes available

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 14:23:07 EDT 2008

Hi Nancy and Bill,

My two cents

The temptation to strongly type executables in a Resource
Repository is obvious, but a mistake.

Human users should be left to interpret ResourceInfo, e.g.,
"Freshwater Screensaver - Win32 XP/Vista self-installer
29 October 2008".

Resource Repository should just record ResourceType of
'executable' (the 'software' type is ambiguous - is it source
or compiled?).

Note that *scripts* are often termed executables, but
are quite a different level of virus/malware threat.

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 12:53 PM,  <nchen at okidata.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> I forgot to include the MFD list in my reply to Bill's question. See below.
>
> -Nancy
>
> ----- Forwarded by Nancy Chen/OKIDATA/OKI_DATA_CORP/OKI_ELECTRIC/US on
> 08/29/2008 12:47 PM -----
> Nancy Chen/OKIDATA/OKI_DATA_CORP/OKI_ELECTRIC/US
>
> 08/29/2008 12:37 PM

> "William A Wagner" <wamwagner at comcast.net>
> cc
> Subject
> RE: MFD> MFD August 14 & 15 face-to-face meeting minutes availableLink
>

> Hi Bill,
>
> This issue of whether the Resource Service could serve executable resources
> is still open.
> We did come to the thinking that it could serve executable resources.
>  However, we were not able to come to a consensus on the list of parameters
> required to serve as the filter for searching the executable resources. As
> an AI, we are asking everybody to investigate what are good descriptive
> elements for executables - the description for target environment of an
> executable is quite troublesome, and maybe quite complex that could include
> OS/platform/build....
>
> Please let me know if you have any recommendation.
>
> Thanks,
> -Nancy
>

> "William A Wagner" <wamwagner at comcast.net>
>
> 08/29/2008 11:59 AM

> <nchen at okidata.com>, <mfd at pwg.org>
> cc
> Subject
> RE: MFD> MFD August 14 & 15 face-to-face meeting minutes available
>

> Nancy,
>

> Sorry for the delay  but I was just going over the minutes. I recall that we
> wandered on both sides during the discussion, but the minutes are unclear on
> whether it was finally decided whether the Resource Service  could serve
> executable resources. My recollection was that we concluded that it could.
> Could that be clarified, or is it still open?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Bill Wagner

Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
email: blueroofmusic at gmail.com