Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 11:47:21 EST 2009

Hi Bill,

Thanks for all your good comments on Scan Service.

Here are my thoughts about service state.

It's IPP that is deficient in primary states.

DOWN is NOT some state-reason of IDLE.
It is a primary state in CIM Services as well.

By the same token, TESTING is a primary state.
A service (or device) in TESTING MUST NOT
execute any normal user jobs.

The stupidly deficient IPP states are the wrong
model to follow here, because mapping to CIM
and other interfaces will become convoluted and
fragile (i.e., implementation mappings will vary)
- behavior of operations would depend on the
state-reasons and not the primary state.

Lastly, the WIMS/1.0 Protocol and Schema set
(and more recent Semantic Model/2.0 schemas)
have had this set of service states and their state
transitions for five years - it's pretty late to change
them, IMHO.

StartupService instantiates a NEW service instance.
ShutdownService shuts down but does NOT destroy
that service instance.  RestartService is necessary
to restart the previous service instance.

These three admin operations are needed for every
Imaging System service.  These operations are taken
from ISO 10175-Part3 (DPA Admin), as are equivalent
IPP operations in RFC 3998.

DeleteService is probably also necessary (after a
ShutdownService) to actually delete the inactive
service object  It's specified in ISO 10175-Part 3, but
was not included in RFC 3998 or WIMS/SM schema.

BTW, while not exhaustive, the state transition tables
at the end of ISO 10175-Part3 are informative here.

Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
email: blueroofmusic at gmail.com
winter:
  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176