[MFD] Re: MFD Schema updated [keep Email services]

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 17:51:59 UTC 2009

Hi Bill,

Without commenting on specific products, both of the
following basic services are of interest to Samsung:

EmailIn
- analogous to basic Scan (i.e., Scan-to-File).

- uses a default Job Ticket (configured on Service)
  plus attributes in received email header to accept
  any attached document (any format) and store it
  (in local/remote directory or even specific filename).

EmailOut
- also analogous to basic Scan

- may be invoked from local device Console or a
  workflow Job Ticket received by Email or HTTP.

- uses a default Job Ticket (configured on Service)
   plus LDAP user schema attributes (for Job Owner)
   to mail any document (local on System or by URI
   reference) to a list of recipients (similar to PSTN
   Fax fanout to multiple recipients).

NOTE - This basic service EmailIn is NOT the same
as Print with an email input channel or FaxIn (limited
to image formats).  In particular, EmailIn does NOT
print the received document.

Hope this helps clarify.

Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
email: blueroofmusic at gmail.com
winter:
  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
  734-944-0094
summer:
  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
  906-494-2434

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 4:04 PM, William Wagner<wamwagner at comcast.net> wrote:
> Ira,
>
> I would like further clarification what EmailIn and EmailOut. You indicate
> that they are used "in the composed services ScanToEmail and
> TransformToEmail", which appear to be compound services composed of the MFD
> Scan and MFD Transform Services concatenated with one of the Email Services.
>
> I don't mean to discourage inclusion of something that exists, but it would
> seem that the Email "services" used in this way are just transports rather
> than full services, in much the same way as the various types of fax
> services can use phone lines, SMTP, or other protocols as transports.
> Similarly, printers often have the ability to pull messages from a email
> server using POP3 or IMAP4, which are regarded as transport protocols in
> this context, although I guess in your view they would be (part of) EmailIn
> services.
>
> Unless you are thinking of a full email service whereby users can actually
> compose and receive emails on their MFP (which I don't think is a common MFD
> capability), I am having trouble viewing what I think in practice is an
> EMail server supporting SMTP and POP3 and/or IMAP4 as an MFD service.
>
> Perhaps it would help me understand how to deal with EmailIn and EmailOut if
> you could show how these services should be represented in  the Service
> Interfaces document (Figure 1 in the current MFP Overall document).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill Wagner

believed to be clean.